For modern militaries (and law enforcement agencies), the ability to dominate areas of operations is largely dependent on having an effective and reliable night fighting capability. The most obvious effect of night time is reduced visibility – normally favouring offensive formations.
Wescom Defence has developed a range of hand-fired rockets, for various payloads and parachute suspension (large area illumination, visual and infra-red) or free falling signalling flares. Ranges from 300 to 1,000 metres.
Multiple Effect Rocket System (MERS)
MERS is a smokeless rocket system carrying various payloads for parachute suspension (large area illumination, visual and infra-red) or free-falling flares for signalling.
- Exceptionally lightweight and compact
- Excellent visibility > 200,000 Candela
- EDB Smokeless Propellant (qualified according to STANAG 4170)
- Unique tube design and induced tailspin provide high level of accuracy in flight (300-1,000m range)
- Enhanced safety with inherent over-pressure gas escape system
- No stored energy in the initiator
- Three-stage safety ignition system
Wescom Defence has a rich heritage of developing hand-fired rockets. Terrain illumination rockets enable random surveillance to reveal enemy movement, illuminate ambush situations (to reveal targets) or used as target illuminators for weapon systems.
- Handfired Parachute Rocket, Illuminating (J301)
- Handfired Parachute Rocket, Red/Green (J302A & J303)
- Handfired Parachute Rocket, Radaflare (J304)